Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Homemade Pizza

I have become, out of necessity, quite a cook since moving to Moldova.  One thing that I have really enjoyed preparing is homemade pizza.  It is QUITE a job here, since there are no pre-made crusts, sauces, or toppings to buy.  It takes about 2 hours, but it makes about 3 meals for the two of us, so it is worth it.  The recipe is from Betty Crocker’s big red cook book.

I start with a basic bread recipe and let it rise twice, once in a bowl and once in the pan that it will be baked in.  While it is rising, I:

-brown ground chicken breast mixed with sausage seasoning, an onion, and 2 cloves of garlic

-let the sauce simmer, which is made of whole tomatoes in sauce, tomato paste, an onion, 2 cloves of garlic, sliced mushrooms, a green bell pepper, oregano, thyme, basil, sweet paprika, salt, and a dash of cinnamon

-grate the mozzarella cheese

Then I pre-cook the crusts for about 20 minutes.  I make 2 pizzas, so while the second one is pre-cooking, I can start putting the toppings on the first one.  Then while the first one is baking, I put the toppings on the second one.  We usually start eating while the second one is still in the oven.

It is extremely delicious, if I do say so myself.  I’m looking forward to making it for my mom when we are back in the States, because she loves pizza (and all Italian food, really) almost more than life itself.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment